Wednesday, September 23, 2009

feelings

On the show 30 Rock, the source of all wisdom, narcissistic actress Jenna Maroney teaches the innocent NBC page Kenneth Parcell about "back door compliments." For example, Jenna says, "It's hard for me to watch American Idol, because I have perfect pitch." She's teaching Kenneth to slide a self-compliment into a normal conversation, to which Kenneth rightly responds, "Eew."

I've been holding myself back from getting into some conversations that will inevitably become heated debates, because lately I've been realizing that I'm not sure if the strength of my opinions is solely due to my honest belief that I am truly in the right, or if it stems at least in part from an innate desire to judge people. Maybe it's all just one big back-door compliment.

However, I cannot hold it in any longer. So, in an attempt to say what I've been dying to say without saying enough to get me into an anger-inducing debate, here goes:

1.) If you're going to work in the church, you need to be aware of everyone you're working for, everyone you're working with, the reason your work exists, and the One who oversees it all. Without this, it doesn't work.

2.) Pointing out "fear-mongering" with fear-inducing tactics is hypocritical.

3.) Barack Obama is President of the United States. Some Americans did not vote for him, some Americans don't agree with some of his policies. But, obviously, a lot of Americans voted and agree, and that's how he got into office. So, America, please stop whining and doing ridiculous things like calling the President unfit for his office because he says the words "I" and "me" in his speeches (which, I might point out, all politicians - and most speechmakers in general - do, as well) and deal with it.

4.) Christianity has problems. It's full of Christians. Christians are human. Humanity is fallen. Problems are going to exist. Let's not deny the problems, but instead work on finding ways to remedy the problems. Please see #1.

5.) My dog hurt his paws, and he hobbles around and can't go down the stairs, and it makes my heart hurt.

That last one, we can discuss all you want. Because if you disagree with my feelings on that, you're probably heartless.

1 comment:

Hehoff said...

so i've been waiting and you haven't obliged, so please explain what happened to charlie's paws. if you don't, i will presume that you hate dogs and are inflicting these wounds upon him yourself.