Wednesday, September 2, 2009

soy lattes

I've been longing for a good coffee shop lately. When I spent a summer in Seattle, many of my most memorable - even life-changing - experiences came in a coffee shop. In college, my roommates (which they will forever be called, whether we're actually living in the same place or not) and I would always meet/drive together to the nearest Starbucks (or Biggby's, if Sara was in charge) and spend hours talking and laughing together.

Jeremy and I even made friends with a Starbucks barista in Grand Rapids, who we think was slowly evolving into a woman. Apparently I reminded this barista of his sister, and so he remembered Jeremy and me and often even remembered our normal orders. He (at least, I think you could qualify him as a he, still, by the time we left...I'm not sure what protocol on this would be) disappeared by the time I graduated from Calvin. Jeremy and I still speculate, sometimes, onhow his progress might be coming along.

So, today, I'm home alone. Jeremy's taking his final exam of the summer, then has to work until 2:00. And, since I have no money and no car, I decided to make our apartment into a coffee shop. I made myself a delicious soy latte, since we were left with a mostly-full half-gallon of soy milk from Jeremy's brother, which I only like when combined with coffee, and I turned on some coffee-house music. Charlie is sleeping next to me on the couch (although, as I type this, he's realizing he's falling off the couch, so he's slowly melting his way to the floor and trudging over to his favorite yellow chair), Coldplay is playing, and I'm drinking a nice foamy latte.

If only my roommates were here...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I was there. Or that you were here. Either way, we would be on our way to a coffee place now! I miss those last minute coffee times a whole lot. Next time we are all together (heathers wedding?!?) that should be the first thing we do. Sound good?

anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anna said...

Me too... Those were fun. I think when we're all old and have money, (ha, stick with me) we should meet once a year somewhere in a coffee house.

Yep. I do.

Norah said...

Deal and deal. I agree with everything here.