Tuesday, November 17, 2009

my grandma

Last weekend, my grandma (my mom's mom) passed away. She was 92 years old, and she died of congestive heart failure. It wasn't completely unexpected, given her age and her condition, but it happened quickly. She was doing okay one day, and the next day she was gone.

I flew out to be with my family over the weekend for the memorial service. (Grandma had strict instructions not to call it a funeral, and to keep it joyful. :) ) I was glad I could be there. Almost all my cousins were there, and all but one of my siblings - it was good to see our family again. And, of course, it was good to celebrate my grandma's amazing life.

I was struck with how often I heard people comment that my grandma's prayers were answered. She had been longing to be with her Savior for a long time now, but especially in the last few months, as she was moved from her house and her independence to a retirement home to a nursing home. And now God answered her prayer. What a comfort to know!

No comments: