Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Random thoughts for today:

1.) Jeremy and I bought our books for fall today. While it's always depressing to lay down that amount of money all at once, there's still a comfort in getting all my books on my shelves. Even when I was little, I remember that I would always feel a little nervous on the first day of school, but instantly felt calmer when my books were handed out. So, hooray for books. This quarter, however, they are HUGE, but oddly inexpensive. Go figure.

2.) Speaking of books, I've got all this free time on my hands, with even more to come because Jeremy's got some intense work weeks coming up while he helps with Fuller's orientation, and I'm looking for a good book to read. I just finished my Anne Lamott book, which was wonderful, and then I started reading Gilead by Marilynne Robinson only to realize that I've already read it once. I want to read A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, or even re-read the Harry Potter books but I'm not sure I want to commit to a series - and once I start the series I've got to read them all. I'm thinking about Cold Mountain because I've had it for awhile and my mom and my sister both liked it, who I generally trust on books. But does anyone have any suggestions? Hehoff?

3.) Charlie's poop-ninja-ness has gotten better, thank goodness. During Jeremy's family's stay, Charlie got by with murder because we were distracted by everything else going on in our apartment. Thus, Charlie nurtured a love of pooping on Jeremy's brother's air-mattress-bed, which he managed to do almost every other day. Since then, Charlie's developed the uncanny ability to blitz-poop in the house. For example, one time I was sitting on the couch, watching something on TV, with Charlie sleeping next to me. I got up to get something to drink, with Charlie staying where he was on the couch. When I came back, Charlie seemed to be exactly how he was before, but there was poop on the floor. Poop ninja. But now he's getting better again, and we're going on more regular walks, when the oh-so-terrifying garbage truck isn't prowling the streets.

4.) I feel like, seeing as I am a woman and pursuing theology, I should take a class in feminist theology. I feel like I should be championing the cause of feminist theology, calling for liberation from the predominantly white male world of theological studies. But...so far, everything I've read or heard in feminist theology sounds like it's coming from a misunderstanding of the "standard" theology of the well-known white males. I don't feel oppressed by people like John Calvin or Jurgen Moltmann or Richard Niebuhr or Walter Rauschenbush. Generally, I agree or disagree with these people based on their reading of scripture. And what I've seen of feminist theology is in large part coming from a reaction to men such as these, rather than a particular understanding of scripture. Does this make me a bad woman? Maybe I should take a class in it, just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding feminist theology altogether. Hmmm...

5.) I'm going to have popcorn for dinner and watch This is Spinal Tap with my husband. We saw Spinal Tap live on the Conan O'Brien show, so how can we not watch their movie? :) Also, Charlie has to poop. So long, faithful readers - who I now know are greater in number than Anna and Hehoff.

4 comments:

Hehoff said...

"Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" Christopher Moore

That's my recommendation.

Joanie said...

Hi Jana,
I love your blog and so you can now truthfully say at least 3 people read it. I'm a bookaholic and I've got a couple of good books for you that I think you'll like:
"The Help" by Kathryn Stockett (first time novelist already on the NYT bestseller list writes about domestic African American "help" during the tumultuous 60s in Jackson Mississippi. Stockett is white BTW).
Also, "Right Of Thirst" by Frank Huyler (author is an ER doc and writes a New Yorker recommended novel about a recently widowed cardiologist who signs on for a medical mission in a refugee camp in an unnamed location but is most likely Pakistan. Many illusions dashed.)
Also, "The Pianist" by Wladyslaw Szpilman (same story as the movie with Adrian Brody {which I never saw} but an excellent, very readable autobio by a survivor of the Warsaw ghetto uprising during WWII - Liesy knows I'm addicted to these books, partly because they reinforce the fact that someone is always MUCH worse off than you, so quityerbellyachin', a motto I raised my kids by).
Good luck with Charlie!
Liesy's Mom,
Joanie Rosema

Unknown said...

We were forced to read cold mountain in high school. I actually wanted to reread it someday because I remember not hating it like all the other books my psycho english teacher made us read.

Have fun with you ninja dog! Mia is a ninja kitty, but not with poop. She started with 8 little mice and has made all but 1 disappear. But we are starting to find them one by one as we pack. :)

Hehoff said...

I feel I should tell you that I am serious about that book selection, as absurd as it may sound. You really do need to read it. And don't think you can substitute one of his other books for that one. You need to read "Lamb."