Monday, April 27, 2009

A Confession

I have a confession to make. I love pretty much any cheesy show that involves singing. I'm addicted to American Idol (although you could argue that it's not cheesy...then again, you could argue it is...*cough*ryanseacrest*cough*), and I still watch beauty pageants for the talent competition (although the girly side of me is, admittedly, intrigued by all the pretty dresses). Tonight, I watched Mama Mia! while my husband was away for the night. I'm always drawn to movies like Rent and Hairspray...and, yes, I even once watched High School Musical. What can I say, I'm a sucker for singing. In the same vein, I've always loved shows like Star Search or America's Got Talent or, now, Britain's Got Talent (way to go, Susan Boyle!).

Maybe it's because I'm a singer. Maybe it's because I have a morbid fascination of hearing people who think they can sing fail - although maybe not, because I can't stand the auditions for that very reason. I don't know what it is...but I love singing and musicals - everything from to Bye Bye Birdie to The Sound of Music to Les Miserables.

That said, I do draw the line somewhere. High School Musical was too ridiculous even for me. I just couldn't do it.

So, my confession is this: Have you heard of the upcoming new FOX show, Glee? I can't wait for it to start. I'm almost looking forward to American Idol being over so it can start. (Almost.) I even wrote the date of the premiere on my calendar (Tuesday, May 19 - after the American Idol finale). A bunch of outcast kids finding a place in high school through singing and dancing - and, what's more, singing and dancing to Journey??? Sign me up!

There you have it. Give me a cheesy song and dance, and I'm a happy camper.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

First of all... since apparently we both can't stand HSM... did you see the SNL sketch making fun of it with the main character? He comes back to high school as the keynote speaker at the following graduation and tries to break it to the class that the real world isn't perpetually in song.
Secondly... Susan Boyle's alright... but I prefer the father/son Greek/Irish dancers
Thirdly... dancing and singing to Journey sounds amazing... thanks for sharing.
And finally... why is google (at least I think this place is owned by google) making me type "legrat" to confirm I'm not a robot?

anna said...

Haha. I must admit I saw a preview for it the other day. It made me laugh and I kind of wanted to watch it. I think that's kind of sad. (this is Anna by the way... just in case you didn't already guess that. :)

I just watched Howard stick his nose down the humidifier (that is running) and sneeze really hard.